She's A Rainbow


My work holidays were filled with day trips, op-shopping, catching up with friends and family. On one particularly sunny day, my mum and I were driving around, indecisive about where to go. Then suddenly, ahah! Let's go to Williamstown beach! we agreed.


We walked up and down the pier, marveling at the beautiful ocean view and the boats. It was pretty quiet as it was a weekday but there were still some people fishing, with their feet dangling over the pier.


We wandered down the strip of shops looking for a restaurant to eat in and finally decided on one because it had cute turquoise outdoor chairs and nice salads. I had a calamari salad and my mum had a a Caesar salad. We chatted away about anything and everything, relaxing in the shade. 


When we got home, we realised that our shoulders were very sunburnt from the brief walk on the pier. If we had've planned our trip a bit better, we would have brought some sunscreen. 


I hate leaving the beach because it makes me feel so happy, but we made plans to return again with my nonna and I'll share some photos with you in an upcoming post.


Outfit details:
Bag - Vintage, $7 at a market.
Bangles- The bottom orange bangle is bakelite! I found it for $2 in an op-shop in Sunbury. The top coral one is from Sydney. I knew I wanted to buy a souvenir to remember this short but wonderful trip.


I'm officially christening this dress the 'She's a Rainbow' dress because of its bright colours, of course, but it also reminds me of the wonderful Rolling Stones song by the same name. Talking about colourful dress, check this one out...


Just before my work holidays ended, my friend Deana wanted to catch up. I usually go out  with friends, but I was sick of eating out so much so I invited her over for dinner. I cooked stuffed peppers and salad and chocolate mousse for dessert. She soon declared me "an amazing cook!" I might be in danger of getting a big head but who doesn't like a compliment? 


I wore my new-to-me Mexican dress (market-find), some op-shopped bangles and my much worn sandals.


 I experimented with some blue eye-shadow, having been inspired by ladies of the sixties such as Jeannie (from 'I Dream of Jeannie'), Endora (from 'Bewitched') and Twiggy.





Deana and I caught up on our lives. She wanted to know about my bush-fire experience. She's such a kind friend and was really concerned for my family and I. Deana's getting married soon, so she dazzled me with all the things she's preparing for the next couple of months - a kitchen tea, hen's night, wedding and building a new house. I don't know how she does it all - she's truly superwoman!


I love catching up with her. I met Deana in highschool in 2008, so I'm glad we've kept in touch. And I can't wait for her wedding! Whatever shall I wear?



Comments

  1. Your rainbow dress is utterly delightful and so is that vintage basket bag you're carrying. And oh my, a Bakelite bangle! They're hard to come by at affordable prices, so a real treasure. I'm drinking in the ocean view with the sailing boats, while a storm is raging outside. What a gorgeous photo that is, it almost looks like a watercolour painting. I've also been admiring your Mexican dress.The colour and embroidery are exquisite. And isn't it nice catching up with a friend? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. I always look out for Bakelite in op-shops and so far I've scored two (the second found on eBay). Do you collect Bakelite pieces of jewellery?

      It's so nice catching up with friends and wearing a Mexican dress always brightens my day. How's the storm at the moment? X

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, I love your rainbow dress, Jess! The colours are marvelous. I'm envious of your real Bakelite bangle - they are over $20 each here, minimum, usually more! I have a pair of earrings that are Bakelite, but most of the bangles are too big for my wrists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Shiela. You can't me in this dress!

      Bakelite seems to be very expensive here in Australia too - $50-100, sometimes more. Ooooo Bakelite earrings are gorgeous. Have you shared photos of them on your blog before? X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds