If I can dream of a warmer sun, where hope keep shining on everyone


Last week, my mum and I had the absolute best day out! We went to the Elvis: Direct from Graceland exhibition in Bendigo! After a 1.5 hour drive, we were happy to get out of the car, stretch our legs and be dazzled by the shiny, golden entrance.


 
I couldn't resist a smooch with my first musical love.  

 
Many years ago, a family friend gave me an Elvis CD from his collection and my taste in music immediately changed. I was hooked on Elvis' music and it led me to uncovering a treasure trove of other old music and bands that I may not have otherwise discovered and gradually influenced my sense of style and love of vintage fashion.



 
Everyone seemed to have the same idea as us and many were blowing kisses!

 
I loved the large images plastered on the exhibition walls.

 
The first part of the exhibition showcased items dating back to Elvis' childhood and highlighted his family's struggles and poverty. I was amused to see his mother's well worn dress on display. It had a hole in the front and a missing button, but it epitomised her 1950s style and preference for comfort. I particularly adored her poodle bag. Glady had a thing for poodles - she had a pet toy poodle and even decorated her bathroom ensuite with poodle wallpaper. How cute!
 


 
One of Elvis' shirts from the 1950s...

 
Many people were enamoured with Elvis' 1960 MG MGA 1600 Mk 1 red car. I'm not usually a "car person" but its shiny colour and tiny size made it interesting to look at.
 


 

 
I like how the exhibition covered entire walls with photos, this one looking like the front of Graceland. There was another wall covered in a Jungle Room photo, almost making you feel that you'd stepped right into Graceland.

 
Elvis' army clothes...
 

 
 It was so cool to see Priscilla and Elvis' wedding clothes. Priscilla was so petite and tiny in height and judging by his clothes, Elvis was very tall.

 
My favourite part of the wedding dress was the back, with the intricate, beaded details.
 
 
It was cool to see Elvis' outfits from the 1968 TV special. I do love a monochromatic look! He could really pull off an all-black or all-white outfit!

 
Plus the added use of the scarves elevated the outfits, I think. Some of his collection was on display.
 

 
It's awesome when you see an outfit and immediately recognise where it's from. I was fascinated by the puffy sleeves of this shirt and admired both outfits which were worn during the 1970 That's the Way It Is documentary.


 
I mean look at those sleeves!

 
 
 
A brown suede suit...
 
 
Here is Elvis' flashy, vampire-like outfit to visit the president! President Nixon commented on Elvis' outlandish outfit and Elvis quickly retorted something along the lines of, "You've got your show to run Mr. President and I've got mine!" Only Elvis could pull off a belt like that, I think! 
 
 
And just look at this thick velvet, brown suit that Elvis wore for the 'Ten Outstanding Young Men of America' press conference and lunchoen in 1971. The fabric looks like a fluffy bear! I jest, but I actually love his eccentric outfits! I also liked Priscilla's black dress designed by Bill Belew. The fabric and buttons remind me of an Ossie Clark dress and Radley of London dress that I have.

 
It was interesting to see some of Elvis' records. I spotted Johnny Cash's Down the Street to 301 and Frank Sinatra's My Way in there. Being the magpie that I am, my eye was drawn to  Elvis' golden telephone. I was surprised to see a 1957 nightstand from Elvis' room, as his room is deemed a special place amongst his family and fans and is one of the only rooms not open to the public at Graceland. 
 
  
 
Being a fellow bookworm, I appreciated the inclusion of Elvis' book trunk, which his friends complained about in their own books, saying it was always heavy and filled to the brim with books and that they hated lugging it around on tours.

 
 
How beautiful is this parka made by an Inupiaq (Native Alaskan) woman named Laura Wright in 1962? Elvis liked the parka so much that he bought three more for his friends.
 
 
 
 
Mum loved this leather outfit and thought black leather always suited Elvis.
 
 
 
How pretty is Priscilla's fuchsia pink dress! 
 

 

 
 
 
Made from satin, fur and beads, Priscilla wore this to see Elvis perform in Las Vegas. I recreated this look here in 2020. I really should return to recreating looks with items that I already have in my closet, it's so much fun.
 
 
 
Prior to going to Bendigo, I mentioned to my boyfriend that I hoped the exhibition wasn't filled with jumpsuits. I thought I'd be more interested in seeing belongings from Elvis' home and personal wardrobe, so I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved seeing the collection of Elvis' jumpsuits all displayed together. They were so amazing and dazzling to see in real life, with all the colour,  special stones and flashy belts. I looked at the size of his clothes and was shocked to see how slender his was, his hips were tiny!
 


 

 



 

 
This American Eagle jumpsuit and cape cost over $2000 at the time it was purchased in 1973, and was famously worn during the Aloha From Hawaii special. 
 
 I leave you with one of my favourite photos from the day. Mum and I honestly had the best time. If you can go, I highly recommend that you do. I can't wait to return with Pat next month!

Comments

  1. In the words of The Wonder Stuff "Never Loved Elvis" although that exhibition looks beautifully put together and I want to steal your mum's dress! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great.
      I think even you would have enjoyed it, just seeing the vintage clothes, furniture and car. X

      Delete
  2. What an amazing exhibition! I was really touched by his Mum's worn out dress being on display. I've never been much of an Elvis fan but Jos was actually a teenager when Elvis first started out and he was the hugest of fans. He would definitely have loved that exhibition! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jos would love it! Hopefully it travels to your area.
      Yes it was so interesting seeing Gladys' dress and her poodle bag too. Now I want one! X

      Delete
  3. Wow, I want to go to that!! It looks amazing, how fun, Jess!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds