Dancing on the jetty

Travel with me in my time machine, back to the last day of summer, before the corona virus pandemic took over the world.

Now, what's the perfect way to celebrate the last day of summer?



Go to the beach of course! A few Saturdays ago, on a whim, my family and I decided to do just that. We bought some food from the supermarket when we arrived in Altona and had a little picnic by the water. We nibbled on basil dip, crackers, olives, stuffed mini peppers, bread rolls, slices of turkey and cheese. It was really yum and beautiful to be by the beach.



Seed bag - Bought new with tags at a second hand market. 
Ring - Another secondhand market find, I traded four little rings for this stunner. I was thrilled as I had never traded anything before!
Turquoise cuff - Daylesford Mills Market on this trip.
Dress - Borrowed from my mum. 


My mum and I went for a walk and came across a community event with all sorts of games such as basketball and table tennis and some beach huts had been set up. They were too adorable and we decided to sit there for a while.



We walked on the jetty, sat and watched all that was going on around us. The waves crashing, fisherman waiting for the next bite and adventure seekers jumping fully dressed into the water!


Thank goodness we've become very good at sharing clothes. Mum's wearing my dress and I'm wearing one of hers.


We stopped off at an op-shop before returning home. I spotted a 9ct gold horseshoe pendant with a cross and red stone in the middle of it for $30. I was umm-ing and ahh-ing over it because I wasn't sure if it was real gold as it didn't have the right markings. One of the ladies behind the counter was so rude in her manner and just when I was about to buy it, she quickly grabbed it, placed it back in the ziplock bag and put it away. That was a sign to me to not buy it, I get very put off by bad service.


Little did I know that I would find a silver horseshoe pendant for half the price the very next day at the market. I'll have to share a photo of it in a future post. In Italian, this is referred to as 'il segno' (if you've ever watched Under A Tuscan Sun, you'll know what I mean) - sometimes there are signs out there and you've got to look out for them (even when vintage/secondhand shopping - haha)!


This is what I wore to the market that Sunday morning, the first day of Autumn:
A leopard dress- bought retail, shock horror!
Don't worry, the vintage bag and belt, boots, Kurt Cobain sunglasses and bangles are all secondhand market finds.

 I would have usually accessorised with a dark brown belt and bag but I liked the pairing of emerald green with leopard.


See you next Sunday!

(SUCH a good song!)


Comments

  1. What a wonderfully cheery post - thanks for that, Jess!
    Yours and your mum's outfits are both fabulous! The odd retail purchase is fine, it's not like you make a habit of it and that leopard dress was worthy the splurge!
    Love the green handbag, what a beauty!
    How rude of that seller, I'm glad you found an alternative to the horseshoe pendant. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Vix. Once in a while, a retail purchase occurs but I prefer shopping secondhand/vintage - that's for sure. X

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking me with you in your time machine, Jess! I wonder if there is any better way of celebrating the last day of Summer than by going to the beach! I'm loving your dress with its sprinkling of tiny flowers, your turquoise jewellery and that delightful bag! Finding that pendant for half the price the next day must have felt very sweet. How rude can some people be! And is that an emerald green bag I spy? Be still my beating heart! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for jumping onto my time machine, Ann.

      Oh how I adore my horseshoe pendant, it goes with almost everything!

      Yes it is an emerald green bag, I like how it goes with the leopard print. X

      Delete
  3. "Dancing on the Jetty" is one of my favourite INXS songs!

    Oh, that beach looks so lovely - I'm just dreaming of having a picnic right there. I loathe bad service and that would definitely have put me off! I also hate when tables don't have prices on their stock. Take the time and price things, or group them!

    I know it's retail, but that leopard dress is STUNNING, Jess. Love it with the green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great song!

      A picnic on a beach sounds perfect right now (or any time really).

      You know what, I might be a bit wary that this dress will not last long due to its quality but I have found that I have been wearing it a lot lately. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds