Always something there to remind me

I recently had the most wonderful day out to my favourite country town Daylesford, with my nonna and mum. 



First thing's first, we bought some honey at the honey farm and then I had to stop to pick some wild blackberries. They are so delicious! I look forward to picking them every year. The only thing is that you've get to be careful of the prickles and look out for snakes! This is Australia, after all!



We browsed the Mills Market which is filled with over 100 vintage and retro stalls. The song 'Always Something There to Remind Me' was playing and it certainly rang true as numerous items brought back happy memories for my Nonna. We saw some retro children's outfits and she recalled how she sewed clothes for all of her three children from when they were babies until when they moved out of home or got married. A wicker chair reminded her of an old, funny Italian song. When we passed a portable record player, she was reminded of family celebrations where she and her siblings would listen to music, dance with friends and drink lemonade. 

Some things that caught my eye included...

...this Sydney Opera House painting...

an Elvis painting... 

Pale yellow crockery...


 and this Mary statue (of course!)


This card highlights my attitude, exactly!



I reckon I could make my own Elvis art similar to this.

For years I have been fascinated by the circus themed wall (below). The clowns might freak some people out but I love them.


Just like our trip to Southbank, where all three of us ate the same thing (pasta with mussels), here we enjoyed a vegetable-filled Turkish bread toastie for lunch. The Mills Market cafe has a groovy eating area with vintage tables and chairs.





Just when I thought I'd be leaving empty handed, I spotted this turquoise sterling silver cuff, crammed in a cabinet with lots of other jewellery. 



You may have noticed that I'm a fan of turquoise (here, here and here) and these type of bangles always remind me of the kind Stevie Nicks used to wear in the 70s. 



On the drive home, nonna pulled out her phone, found some Italian songs on YouTube and serenaded us with her beautiful singing voice. Then we spotted a sunflower field and HAD to pull over. I love sunflowers and even grow some myself





I first came across the magnificence of sunflowers on a Sunnyboys album cover.


Source

We had the best day! I'm so glad I can document these moments here on my blog.
X



Comments

  1. By pure coincidence, I heard Sandie Shaw's version of Always Something There to Remind me on the radio the other day, which triggered an ear worm, so how serendipitous that it's your post's title. A visit to any flea market or antique centre usually involves a trip down memory lane, and I think this would be particularly so for people of your Nonna's age. I could happily have spent ours in a place like Mills Market. That Mary statue is very similar to one I have, only mine has a bit of red in her attire. I'm definitely loving that bangle you bought, and the photos of you with the sunflower field as a backdrop are particularly gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I haven't heard Sandie Shaw's version of the song. I'm sure it's great, as I love this song.

      I love the bangle so much and it will remind me of wonderful days out with my nonna. Seeing a sunflower field in real life was honestly a dream come true. Next time, I want to actually walk through it! X

      Delete
  2. Such lovely photos of you and your grandma, your outfit is fantastic! I used to have the identical bangle to your new one (it was North African), I can't think for the life of me what happened to it.
    Daylesford looks so interesting especially that antique centre and the sound of your veggie lunch, no wonder it's a favourite place. There's also a Daylesford in the UK, I wonder if yours is named after ours? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix!

      You had the same bangle? Ooo how interesting that yours was from North Africa. I have no idea where mine is from as it has not markings, just the 925 sterling silver marking. You'll have to dig through your bangle collection, hopefully it's there!

      Wow, you have a Daylesford too? What's yours like? X

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love that Naked Eyes song! You're wearing my favourite dress, and how lovely to see your Nona again. That vintage mall looks fabulous - I love the vintage chairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SUCH a great song!
      That's your favourite of my dresses?! Oh, thanks you!
      The Mills Market never disappoints, it's even fun just window shopping. X

      Delete
  4. Daylesford looks interesting. With so much of places to visit, I can easily do a one day trip with my family. Thanks for planting this seed in my mind. Vintage will always take you down the memory lane. And, especially for people of granny’s age. Wishing her good health. Turquoise looks good on you. Please visit us at https://www.bloghasting.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for visiting my blog!
      Day trips are the best. I hope you have a wonderful time on your next day out. X

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O! good to see lovely pictures, thank you, dear Jess, for sharing your trip photographs with us. I hope you enjoyed your family trip. The Elvis painting reminds me of a similar painting hanging near the admin block of Music Institute in Coimbatore, where I had my keyboard classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog!
      I really enjoyed this day trip. Glad the Elvis painting evoked memories in you too! X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds