Catch up, cats and kittens, don't get left behind

 

 
This summer has been so hot and muggy, I've become one of those annoying people who always whinge about the heat! On this particular day quite a few weeks ago, my mum and I decided to go to a little cafe by a river despite the week-long humidity.
 

 
 
We shared a seafood platter for lunch and a negrino drink, which was so strong we split it and topped it off with a large glass of lemonade. Despite the heat, we had a nice time by the river and chatted away. 

Sometime during this period, unfortunately my mum and I got covid! After 2 years of avoiding it, I was so shocked to get it and instantly burst into tears. I had tested negative two days previously but was still sick and something in the back of my mind was nagging me to get another rapid test and do it before I visited my boyfriend one afternoon. I was up and dressed and ready to go and I thought, surely I don't have covid because I've already received a negative test... but I'll do one just in case. Thank goodness I did because I would have had so much guilt passing it onto him and his family.
 
The biggest irony is that I didn't catch up with any friends during the whole of January because I was trying to avoid Omnicron, which is so prevalent in Melbourne. When mum and I did go out, it was always to outdoor places, away from people, we wore masks and only took them off for photos when we were away from people. I have no clue how we got it. We spent my last week of holidays isolating at home. Mum and I sometimes felt sick and sometimes felt better, it came and went in waves. Mostly we had sore throats, muscle pains, dizziness and little energy. I laid down in bed or outside on the hammock for days and days and if I got brief bouts of energy, I tried to do some cleaning or work but mostly I just stayed horizontal and became best friends with the hammock! Thank goodness we had both vaccine shots or we may have felt much worse. We've not got our 3rd booster shot. Have you got yours?




The week before, we had been fostering 2 kittens. I named them Monkey and Mousey after their personalities as one was cheeky and one was very quiet. For a week, they gave us so much joy and cuddles but unfortunately they were losing weight so needed to be returned to the RSPCA. Once they started to feel better and gain weight again, we were contacted to pick them up but since we were isolating by then, we couldn't. Instead Monkey and Mousey got fostered out to another lady who was already looking after their two sisters. We were sad to see them go, but as my sister said it was the best possible scenario that the kittens were reunited with their siblings. I'm glad I took some videos and photos of them because I had an uncanny feeling that they wouldn't be returning to us. Look at these adorable munchkins!




I hope you've had a great week. See you next Wednesday. 
X



Comments

  1. Oh, gosh, Jess, sorry to hear you got Covid! And mum too! I'm glad it didn't hit you too bad, but what a shocker (I would have cried too!). I've gotten my 3rd booster about a month ago, fortunately.

    What cute kittens, and lovely that they are with their siblings again. Nice to have the pictures of them.

    Take care, honey. You and your mum look fantastic - and that food looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shiela.

      Yes the kittens were a joy to foster for a short time. X

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you and your mum caught Covid. Loads of our friends had it over Xmas but none felt in the least bit all, just a bit of an annoying sniffle including my friend's 81 year old mum.

    Us 50s and over had our boosters back in November, I think the vast part of the population had their before 31st December, the vaccination centres aren't busy at all now.

    It looks like you had a wonderful time before the evil virus struck.

    Monkey and mousey are gorgeous, I bet the lady who also has their sisters is having a fine old time with them all! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were so cute and adorable to foster!

      Yes I think if we had have had our booster shot by then, mum and I wouldn't have felt as bad. X

      Delete
  3. What a shock it must have been that both you and your Mum caught Covid, and particularly that you have no idea how you got it. That must be even more scary!
    I got my booster in early January, which is a relief.
    That seafood platter does look seriously yummy, and how cute are Monkey and Mousey! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monkey and Mousey were adorable.

      Yes I think if we had have had our booster shot by then, mum and I wouldn't have felt as bad. X

      Delete
  4. Beautiful sunny pictures Jess. Sorry to hear you and your mum got Covid. Hammock relaxation sounds like the best way to go. I hope you are now feeling better. Lulu xXx

    (I had my booster just before Christmas, making three jabs, and my dad is about to have his second booster, totaling 4 jabs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's great that you and your dad are getting your booster shots. It makes all the difference if you happen to get covid.

    Thank you Lulu. I was glued to the hammock, it was actually really hard and tiring to sit upright at all! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand