There we were, now here we are


Mum and I had a nice day out back when I was still on summer holidays. We drove out to Daylesford to have a day out in the country. At 10.00am we arrived at the vintage Mills Market and browsed the hundreds of small stalls for 3 hours. I was fascinated with a huge clock that had a statue hanging off the clock hand. It was at least 6 metres tall, reaching the top of the warehouse roof!



I thought I wouldn't find anything to take home with me, which is totally okay. I enjoy looking just as much as purchasing.





Although in the last isle, I spotted a bangle for $10, listed as resin. I thought it might be bakelite, but the sniff and rub test didn't give off the usual chemical odor which determines if it's bakelite or not. Despite this, it certainly looked like my other bakelite bangles, so I decided to risk it and buy it anyway.


Mum trying on some vintage hats.

It was so hot that day, 32°C, so we stopped midway through browsing and shared a vegetable panini and ice coffee. For lunch, we went to a new place, Winespoke which advertised cheese and wine. We shared a charcuterie board and trout pate.



Oh my gosh, it was so visually beautiful on the board, we just had to take photos. Not only did it look good but it tasted even better. The lady who prepared our food explained each part of the cheese board, stating where everything was from...places like Spain and Tasmania. My favourites were the Tasmanian brie (so oozy and creamy) and jarmon prosciutto. We savoured every bite and made plans to return with my sister. With mum and I being foodies, it's always great to discover new places to eat.

Of course, mum does an excellent job of replicating this platter.

 

Outfit details: Everything bought at a secondhand market, found over time of course, not all at once! Dress: $7, straw bag $2, Wittner's leather sandals $5, sunglasses - a couple of dollars, butterfly sterling silver pendant $5. All adding up to about $20 - Very thrifty!

 

Driving down a road we don't usually go through, we also discovered a vintage train track that operates every Sunday. Mum's been hankering for an old train ride for a long time now so we also made plans to do that too one day.

 

Mum's outfit details: Mexican dress - secondhand market, $5. Shoes - retail. 

It's lovely to look back, especially as we're now in a 5 day, Stage 4 lock-down. As of yesterday, there were 13 cases in Victoria, due to a corona-virus outbreak from hotel quarantine. It was quite hectic finding this out at 1.45pm right before I had yard duty yesterday. I had no time to organise work for my students and thank God a couple of teachers came into my room to help me during the last lesson, as I was feeling internally flustered.

Not to worry though, I'm looking on the bright side. Staying home means that over the weekend I'll have more time to read, write and watch movies. I've read 10 books so far this year, which I'm really proud of, so I'm patting myself on the back!

 

How's things in your part of the world?

X


Title: Columbia by Oasis.

 

Comments

  1. Oh that looks like such a good day out Jess. I'd love to have a rummage in a vintage market ...followed by a delicious cheese platter and maybe a glass of wine of course! Your mam did a fab job of recreating the platter.

    I saw on the news last night about your new lockdown. Good that your government seems to have a more proactive than reactive approach. Have the schools closed then? We are still on home / online learning here in the UK. My eldest mostly just gets on with it, but my littlest is too young for independent learning :0 Take care, Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Lulu. Yes it was such a nice day and I'm now obsessed with cheese platters!

      Schools closed for 3 days so we were super busy trying to organise everything but we're now back onsite at school. I know, it's so hard for the young ones to learn online. You've really got to sit with them through it all as a lot of young children either get distracted or find it hard to understand by themselves. How are you going with it all? X

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your new lockdown and I'm keeping my fingers crossed these 5 days will do the trick! I'm really impressed with the swiftness of the way your authorities deal with such cases. It would be a totally different story in the land of eternal dithering, a.k.a. Belgium!
    I'm glad you and your Mum had a lovely day out. That cheese board looks utterly delicious and how I would love browsing at the vintage market. It's been almost a year since we last had a proper rummage! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was delicious. I can't wait to go back, maybe in a couple of months.

      Yes, it was all very swift. Even though it shocks people, I think it is best for protecting people. X

      Delete
  3. A good rummage in a vintage market followed by delicious food? Sounds like the perfect day! I love both you and your mom's dresses, they're exactly the kind of thing I like to wear in the summer.

    Best of luck with the whole lockdown situation. It's great that your government seems prepared to tackle the situation head on like that (unlike the US), though I can't imagine finding out that late in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Ash.

      Yes it was quite a shock even though there was talk about it in the news. I was expecting a bit more notice but you've got to be flexible, I guess. Looking forward to catching up on your blog over the next few days. X

      Delete
  4. I'd love a cheese platter and a bottle of wine to accompany it! I'm not sure if I could cope with a vintage market and a day out any more, my head might explore.
    Lovely to see you both in summer dresses and as I replied to your comment on my blog, hooray to a government who acts swiftly and locks down without delay unlike our idiots! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix. Yes I'm glad the government acts quickly, even though there are many in the media who complain about this (??!).
      You'll get to a place where you're comfortable going out again. Australia and the UK are in 2 very different positions so I'm sure that's why you're uncomfortable with the thought of a day out but once you get back to a "Covid normal" you will feel better about being out and socially distancing and mask wearing where social distancing is not possible. X

      Delete
  5. I love those platters. My daugther and I are doing a huge one for our son's 21st next month as it looks unlikely we will get out to a restaurant with lockdown still in force. I am so glad you had a good day out before your mini lockdown. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, gorgeous. It was fun.

      Yes, you should definitely do one for your son's 21st! Yours will be better than a restaurant's I'm sure! X

      Delete
  6. Hello, just found your blog, I really love vintage too. You are such lookalikes with your mum, both look so pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you dear Annie!
      So glad you found me.
      I'll be sure to check out your blog soon. X

      Delete
  7. How fun to go to a vintage market! I never count on finding something, so it's always a happy surprise if I do.

    You and your mum are always so cute together - that charcuterie looks amazing!

    Sorry to hear about your temporary lock-down. We/Canada has been awful with getting vaccines - I likely won't get one till summer, and my 75 year old mom still hasn't gotten hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Shiela.

      Oh that's not good to hear about the vaccines. Hopefully they get to you and your mum soon. I think the vaccine will start next month here in Australia. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand