I'd like to be under the sea

 

 Ahh back to my beach days. These photos were taken in late January when mum and I wanted to squeeze in another trip to the beach before I had to return to work.

 

On the way there, we picked up a few snacks from the supermarket and ate a Vietnamese banh mi roll with lots of coriander and chilli - yum! It's one of my favourite take-out foods to eat. We sat by the beach, soaking up some sunshine, gazing at the waves and savouring each bite.

 

 It was so nice visiting the beach on a weekday. It's quiet and people seem to enjoy a slower pace of life. People read by the water, grandparents take their grandchildren out for fish and chips, tradies park by the beach on their work break and eat their lunch in their cars.

Mum's outfit details:

Swimming cap - recent eBay purchase that mum is thrilled with!

Sunglasses- an op-shop find.

Dress- borrowed from my wardrobe.

 

After mum and I finished eating, we drove to the other side of Williamstown beach, sat at a picnic table and read our library books that we'd brought with us.


Mum was enjoying a French interior design and recipe book and I was stuck into yet another Titanic book 'Last Dinner on the Titanic'. The author recreates the food from a menu that was recovered after the infamous shipwreck. I  loved the illustrations and descriptions of the women's and men's exquisite act of dressing up in 1912 - very decadent!

 

  I attempted one of the more simpler recipes from the book: mint sorbet on an ice bowl. I even put some orange peels in the ice bowl for a pop of colour.


 



Outfit details:

Fish pendant: Mum and I have been eyeing this for years! We've always walked away because of the price but kept returning to it as we've never seen another pendant like it. Recently I traded in some of my unwanted sterling silver pieces for this fish pendant and happily paid the additional $20. Thanks to my favourite secondhand jewellery seller, Leo, for making the trade and accepting my offer!

  Gingham dress: Bought new (shock horror!) from a market.

Vintage bag: Secondhand market. I have been looking for one of these flower straw bags for years and was thrilled to recently find this one for $10. You might see it a lot in my blog posts because I've been wearing it all the time!

Vintage butterfly hair clip: $2 from an op-shop and made in France.


By the beach, we nibbled on some snacks and enjoyed some sparkling apple juice (mostly because the ban mi was a bit salty and we were really thirsty!). The day ended with a leisurely stroll by the water and we made plans to return soon. 


I hope I'm not boring you with all my beach posts. It's just that it's summer here in Australia and we try to take advantage of the nice days while we can!

X

 Title: Octopus's Garden by The Beatles.

 

Comments

  1. Your day at the beach sounds lovely! I always prefer the peace and quiet of the seaside on a weekday. Wild horses couldn't drag me there during the weekend!
    Your Mum's bathing cap is spectacular, and how lovely that you are sharing each other's wardrobe!
    I am swooning over that fabulous fish pendant and your straw bag was a marvellous find! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Ann, for your sweet compliments. Beach days on weekdays pure bliss. X

      Delete
  2. I couldn't possibly be bored by sunny beach pics! These bring warmth to my chilled I'm-so-done-with-winter bones, so thank you!

    I love Mum's bathing cap, and your gorgeous fish pendant. Good call on trading in some lesser-loved items - totally worth it. Your hair clip is lovely, and so is that bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Shiela! I'm glad I don't bore you.

      Thank you for your lovely compliments. I hope your winter speeds by and you soon enjoy warmer weather. X

      Delete
  3. Keep posting those beach photos, Jess. It's grey and bone chillingly cold here and I can bask in the warmth of your blog!
    That fish pendant looks liek it should be in my collection, I love it! A very wise move to trade in some lesser pieces for something both you and your mum can enjoy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you gorgeous Vix. I will!


      Oh yes, definitely worth trading in some lesser worn pieces for this fish pendant. I like that it's different and unique. X

      Delete
  4. Wow, Titanic mint sorbet! Looks perfect for your lovely sunny day Jess. Your mum's swim cap is AMAZING!!! I think you were wise to go for the fish pendant. Very unique and beautiful. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu!
      I know right?! Mum looks like a 60s movie star in her swimming cap.
      I'm happy I made a trade for the fish pendant. X

      Delete
  5. We're just getting out of the dark days of winter here so I'm loving seeing your beach photos- they give me hope! haha. Sounds like a fantastic day to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that. Thank you Ashley. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand