I have spoke with the tongue of angels, I have held the hand of a devil

Yesterday was a fun day. There was a school mini fair at my work. My work friend and I made and sold so much jelly at our stall and the children had an absolute blast. When the jelly sold out, I wondered around the fair to look at all the other stalls that the teachers were running. I was delighted to buy some lilac fairy floss - it perfectly matched my nails and eye shadow. Where's a camera when you need one? I laughed to myself. I joked that I was the mini fair purple queen, which my students found amusing.


And after work, I went to see U2's Joshua Tree concert with my family. My sister organised it and we were all happy to go. 


We arrived a little late and I started to panic as I could hear music blaring from outside the stadium. It was Noel Gallagher and the High Flying Birds performing as the opening act. Noel said that the first half of his set was for him, because he declared "I'm amazing" and the second half was for the audience "because you're amazing," with a bit of expletives thrown in because Noel is still the same overly-confident person he's always been. He was quite self deprecating in the first half of the set, complaining that the audience probably weren't familiar with his solo work. The audience responded well when he played his Oasis songs such as 'Wonderwall' and 'Don't Look Back in Anger'. I was in my element, of course. This all made me think that Noel really ought to reconcile with his brother Liam and get the band back together, the music was much better when Oasis were together.


After a long wait, U2 finally came out. The music was fantastic, they sounded great! My favourite songs were:
and

Bono, being Bono, naturally shared some of his political views (looking after the Earth and uniting as one) and even included a song and presentation about the power and achievements of women. He's a good guy, that Bono. There were even a few references of his old, Australian friend Michael Hutchence, which I appreciated. He incorporated 'Devil Inside' into one of the songs. 'Need You Tonight' was played before the show and everyone left the stadium singing along to the resounding sounds of 'Never Tear Us Apart'.

At one point, it started to rain and we were all getting wet, when Bono spontaneously burst into a verse of 'Singing in the Rain'. It was quite endearing. 


The only down side to the concert was that the stage wasn't high enough. At some points, I could only catch glimpses of the band as the screens weren't always showing U2 play. I've never been one to complain about mobile phone use during concerts, I think it's okay to take a few quick photos or videos for memory's sake. But in the standing area on the floor, it bothered me that people were using their phones to film the whole time and blocking my view of the band. Nevertheless, these two issues were no fault of the band. They sounded great and Bono's voice is marvelous. Overall I had a great night!

Wearing (and practically living) in this purple dream of a dress.
 I love returning to old favourites.

We were also looking forward to seeing KISS this Friday but their Australian tour has been cancelled due to a band member being sick. Nevermind, I've still got another concert to look forward to this year. Can you guess who it'll be?


And before I go, I've got to share a photo of my matching lilac nails and nail polish inspired by another music (and fashion) legend: Cher. Some of her 1970s looks are beyond fantastic.


See you in a next week.

Comments

  1. That dress should be worn on repeat, it's too pretty not to! Loving the lilac make-up, too - as I always say if it's good enough for vintage Cher, it's good enough for me!

    Gorgeous photo of you and your mum and delighted that the school charity fundraiser went well.

    Like I mentioned on IG, I was never a fan of U2 until I saw them live - they certainly put on a good show, don't they? I was a fan of Oasis,I much prefer Noel, he's got such a dry sense of humour and was the talent behind the band (although Liam was the prettiest!) Back in the 1990s I once shared a can of beer with Digsy at a party - he was immortalised in the song "Digsy's Diner" on Definitely Maybe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vix. I agree, if it's good enough for Cher, it's good enough for me!
      I LOVED U2. Noel has SUCH a dry sense of humour, maybe too much so for me.
      Yeah, I know the song Digsy's Diner and am certain that you are the ultimate rock chick! X

      Delete
  2. That purple dress of yours is beyond gorgeous, Jess, and I'mp loving the lilac make-up (I often wear lilac eye-shadow myself) and nail polish. Your boots and amazing brown belt are perfect companions for the dress. I was never a big fan of U2, but I'm sure that seeing them live must have been quite the experience. I would have loved to see Noel Gallagher, as I quite like Oasis! Wishing you a lovely week ahead xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved U2 and am still singing their songs!
      I like Oasis as well, although I think they'd be better together rather than apart. That being said, I've really enjoyed Liam's last two solo albums. X

      Delete
  3. That is one fabulous dress, Jess! Wow, I can't believe you got to see half of Oasis opening for U2!!! That's amazing! My favourite song off "The Joshua Tree" is "Running to Stand Still." They never come to my city (it costs too much and takes too long to get most bands over to the island - no bridge!). I adore that you matched your nail polish and eyeshadow.

    Cher has always been amazing. I love the fashions of the 70s - if you can, try to dig up "The Carol Burnett" show (a comedy/variety show) - all the clothes for her were designed by Bob Mackie, who did Cher's big crazy black feather burlesque-ish outfit many years back.

    Have a great week, and rock on with your purple self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shiela.
      Ooo, I'll have to check out "The Carol Burnett". I love nothing more than
      70s clothing inspirations. X

      Delete
  4. Oh very cute dress darling
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds