You say you want a revolution

Now, I'm not much of a city girl (I much prefer the country) but recently my mum and I had a great day out into the city.

We have become one of those people who take photos with their food! Haha!


We went there to see the Revolution: Rebels and Records, an exhibition about showing items from 1966-1970, five years that changed the world. First things first, we headed straight to an old favourite, Hopetoun Tea Rooms. We shared a lime cake, a chocolate mousse cake and a pot of chai - it was so delicious. It's a bit of a fancy-pancy place for me, but we only go about once a year, so it's a real treat. The cakes are always so yum and I love the green patterned wall paper. 


We walked over to the art gallery and I was shocked to find out that the exhibition wasn't actually at this gallery, in fact it was at the Melbourne Museum. Whoops - only I would make that mistake, I'm hopeless with directions and I just assumed it was at the NGV! We didn't mind too much because we got to visit Hopetoun and my mum found two shirts in H&M that she's been wanting for ages. So onto the tram we went and soon arrived at the Melbourne Museum. We took some quick photos before going in.


I decided to go all out with my outfit. After all we were going to a 60s exhibition!

Outfit details:
Skirt: Secondhand eBay find.
Boots and vintage bag: market finds.
Snake print jacket (birthday present) and turtleneck: retail.


I was really excited to see the fashion and some of John Lennon's belongings.


Here's John's suit that he wore on the Ed Sullivan show. 


I loved seeing John's lime Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club suit!
On the left is John's white suit that he wore on the album cover of Abbey Road. During the late sixties, John was often associated with the colour white. He got married to Yoko in white, he wore a white suit on Abbey Road, he had a white piano and car too. The sizing of his clothes surprised me - he was a lot taller and wider than I thought.


My mum and I gasped at the sight of this brown velvet jacket that John wore in the Imagine music video. The quality of the suit was so gorgeous and we loved the embroidered details which we always thought were stars but were in fact little crosses. See a better picture of what I mean here.


Mick Jagger's Ossie Clark velvet jumpsuit (that he wore on tour in 1972) was also on display! He must have been tiny because the waist of the jumpsuit was so small! I had always thought that the dots were sparkles, but I was amused to find out that it's actually studded with snap buttons.


This black dress was from Mary Quant, but to be honest, I was more enamoured by the purple boots!


There were also some Beatles related documents in the exhibition.
 Here's John Lennon's lyrics to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds...




There was even a letter written by Paul McCartney to EMI in 1971, announcing the break-up of the Beatles. "No matter what anybody tells you, the Beatles are no more".


It was a fun day. I hope you enjoyed a peek into the Revolutions: Rebels and Records exhibition.


See you next week in a new blog post!
X


Comments

  1. Ooh, your outfit is amazing, Jess! The skirt and jacket match exactly, and you bought one second hand and one was a gift? How perfect! Love that.

    Doesn't that tea look fancy! I'd wear a dress out of that wallpaper.

    Ha, I have gotten venues mixed up before too - you are not alone! That looks like an amazing exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the skirt and jacket are a matching set, I just found the skirt secondhand on eBay at a much cheaper price.

      I love the wallpaper too! A lot of shops (from the inside) can look rather plain, but not this one! X

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic outfit, the skirt and jacket are a perfect match!
    I'd love that exhibition - the best things were created between 1966 and 1971 including me and Jon! I bet Mick's catsuit was tiny, he's always been a skinny thing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they're a perfect match and I was able to find the skirt secondhand on eBay even though it was still being sold new in the shops.

      You and Jon were born during an exciting time (music and fashion wise)!
      Mick's velvet jumpsuit was tiny. I know that he's always been thin but to see it in person is a different thing! X

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, your outfit should be in a museum too! It's PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I really love this outfit and thought it was only right to dress for the part. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds