Speak in secret alphabets


A couple of weeks ago, my workmates and I had a professional development meeting about resilience and how to encourage it on our students. I got A LOT out of it. Not only did I enjoy learning more about how it is so important to model gratitude, empathy, kindness and mindfulness to students, I also came away from it feeling very positive.


In just a short time, I've noticed an improvement in my mindset, just by being more conscious about the importance of gratitude.

Last week, I wrote a list of things I am grateful for on my Instagram and I think I'll try to do that once a week. I noted little things I am grateful for such as:
1. My family
2. Seeing the sun set
3. The company and conversations with work mates
4. The chicken soup I was having for dinner that night
5. The fab snake print boots I was wearing in the photo. (You know me, I couldn't resist!)

I wanted to add some humour to the notion of gratitude because I know it can across as very hippy-trippy.


Anyway, here's some things I am grateful for this week:

1. Finishing my students' reports.

2. Having found season 1-7 of Dallas (the 70s T.V series) secondhand on eBay. I watched all 13 seasons a few years ago and I'm enjoying re-watching it again. I'm up to the infamous episode in season 3 known as 'Who Shot J.R?' 


3. This cat pot plant holder. I bought it for $2 from a local who sells plants in their front garden. It's so cute!

4. Reading 'No One Gets Out Here Alive', a biography on Jim Morrison. You may remember how I wrote about how I recently discovered The Doors in this post. I'm really enjoying reading it before bed each night. For a rock bio, it's not what I expected. It's very intellectual in the beginning and I was surprised to learn that Jim Morrison considered himself to be more of a poet thank a rock star and was very interested in the work of Nietzsche, who I had never heard of before. I've only read a third of the book and so far the authors have painted him to be a bit of a crazy, unusual character. And by character, I mean that I haven't got a sense of him as a person yet. I also found (the drummer) John Densmore's autobiography at a market a few weeks ago. I'll get to it in time.


Another thing I'm thankful for is being part of this vintage blogging community. After reading vintage style blogs for years, I finally decided to join in last year. I really appreciated Shiela mentioning me and her kind words on her blog and it made me realise how glad I am to be blogging. It makes me feel creative - I love writing and sharing my passions with you.



Alright, this is all a bit hippy-trippy, isn't it? Thanks for sticking around. See you next weekend in a new blog post.
X



Comments

  1. Love those boots - and your trousers - they look vintage - what material are they made from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca. The trousers aren't vintage (unfortuntately) and they're made of a crushed velvet material. X

      Delete
  2. What a fab outfit! It's easy to get caught up in things that we don't take time to reflect on what's good in our lives, your blog is a timely reminder to think on the good stuff.
    Enjoy your weekend, Jess! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix! I'm starting to realise the enormous importance of gratitude in my life. X

      Delete
  3. Anonymous18 June, 2019

    Hey, there's my name! I'm glad to have "found" you, Jess - the fashion blogging community is a very friendly and inclusive one.

    Loving this outfit, from the great retro-looking sweater to your velour (klassy!) pants to those fabulous boots!

    I have read that book (I think I might even still have it)! The Doors were named after Nietzsche's "The Doors of Perception". A bit more recent, but still rock & roll, I just read Nikki Sixx's (of Motley Crue) "The Heroin Diaries" - it was MUCH better than I thought it was going to be. I'd also recommend "And I Don't Want to Live This Life" by Deborah Spungeon (Nancy Spungeon, her daughter, was Sid Vicious' girlfriend) - I remember loving it (although it's harrowing).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shiela,
    I like the story of how the Doors got their name.
    I haven't read Nikki's book but I have heard of Deborah's one, but also haven't read it. Hopefully it'll pop up in an opshop one day. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you, Jess! Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I came over to visit, and I really love what you do here. You have a great sense of style, your photography is gorgeous (I'd love to visit Australia one day!), and you have such interesting hobbies to share with your readers. Loved photos of your Mum too - you both are beautiful!

    This outfit is fantastic, very chic and yet cozy and soulful, just as your other outfits. Enjoy your Winter, it looks so pretty! Warmest wishes from Tacoma/Seattle, Washington!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your compliments, Natalia!
      Australia is lovely - hopefully you get a chance to visit one day. X

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand