Life's been good to me so far

Good morning! Victoria is currently in the middle of its 5th lock-down and since I'm home, I figure now is as good a time as any to look back on my work holidays and share some fun I had a couple of weeks ago.

Mum and I went to the most spectacular hidden gem of a cafe called Old Man Drew. We sat in the sprawling garden, which was truly beautiful, with different plants, fruit trees, vegetable plants, vintage items and trinkets to be found around every corner. It was so cute, a truly magical place that I can't wait to return to!

 






 

I loved this wall of mirrors and the Christmas in July room (below).

 

I would have been mesmerised with the atmosphere alone but the food was also so delicious. As I'm indecisive when it comes to ordering food from a place I've never visited before, I like to look at what other people are eating before I order. As soon as we were seated, I spotted a man eating a homemade beef pie with mash potatoes and gravy. Now I'm not a huge meat pie fan, but this homemade, slow-cooked delight looked wonderful, so that's just what I ordered. Mum ate salmon with broccoli and beans and we both LOVED our meals.


We couldn't leave without sharing a slice of cherry pie that we'd spotted at the counter. It reminded me of Special Agent Dale Copper's fondness of cherry pies in the cult classic TV show Twin Peaks. I'd never tried a cherry pie before and I quite liked it.

 

After lunch, mum and I went for a stroll around a river. Of course mum had to pick some wildflowers (read: weeds) to pose with! We're practically twins as I often pick flowers when out on a walk too! 







Mum and I also went to a local op-shop and I found a cute gingham tablecloth with a crocheted border ($2) and an Ever After DVD ($1). After recently watching 50 First Dates with Pat, I was reminded of my love for the Cinderella-style romantic tale also starring Drew Barrymore, that my sister and I watched as children.

 

As soon as my sister finished work that day, my mum, sister and I sat down to watch this favourite of ours, quoting many memorable lines and admiring the character's love of books and her gorgeous silver gown and slippers.  Have you watched this movie?

Hope life has been good to you, wherever you are.

X

 Title: Life's Been Good by Joe Walsh.

Comments

  1. Oh, Old Man Drew, what a fantastic looking place Jess! I want to go! I would hunt out the swan and the cherry pie. I'm a big Twin Peaks fan and always imagine I'm in the Double R Diner whenever I have coffee and pie. Christmas in July room ! What a hoot :0 :) You are your mum are looking as lovely as ever. Can't remember if I've seen Ever After, but I sneakily watched 50 first Dates when it came out (I tell Monsieur that I don't do chick flicks). I see some people are having a silly whinge about Australia and New Zealand pulling out of the rugby, but individual countries are doing what they think is best. Hope you have a good week. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear you're in yet another lockdown ...
    Old Man Drew looks absolutely fantastic and so does that meat pie! I'd run a mile from that Christmas in July room, though, as I can only just stomach Christmas in December :-)
    That kind of pie is a classic here in Belgium, with all sorts of fillings, but for some reason I always go for cherry. Never thought of the Dale Cooper association, although I was a HUGE Twin Peaks fan when the series was first aired. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name Old Man Drew for a restaurant, and what a magical-looking place it is! I love the wall of mirrors. Your food looks scrumptious. Love seeing you and your mum in your gowns. Weeds are a point of view!

    I love "50 First Dates" - have you seen "The Wedding Singer"? It's another Sandler/Barrymore rom-com, set in the 80s (sooooo good!). "Ever After" is a really sweet movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of Old Man Drew! It looks right up my street. That wall of mirrors looks like someone's been in my house! I loved Twin Peaks back in the day but I've completely forgotten everything about it - I was probably drunk at the time!
    You and your mum look fab.
    I hope lockdown does the trick, we've gone in the opposite direction and opened everything up. Only time will tell... xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand