Mama liked the roses

What are your favourite flowers?
I love sunflowers, tulips, daffodils and of course roses! 


My mum also grows roses in the back yard, as you may have noticed in some previous posts. So we were pleasantly surprised when we went on a picnic to Werribee Mansion with friends and family on Australia Day and we noticed a fantastic rose garden nearby.


I'm a bit (read: a lot) behind on blogging as Australia Day was on January 26th but this rose garden is too beautiful not to share. There was every variety, colour and fragrance imaginable.



I had to giggle to myself as my aunty Carmel, mum and I stopped at practically every rose and said "Mmmm, smell this rose....... mmm, smell this one..."



I loved these purple roses, although they look a bit pink in these photos.


I had such a lovely day sitting underneath a tree, eating yummy food, wandering around the rose garden and playing a bizarre but fun card game that I've since forgotten the name of. That's my best friend Renee wearing yellow. I forgot to get a picture with her!



 That's aunty Fi in the middle, teaching us all how to pose properly! 



 In other news, I have been living in Mexican dresses this summer. Lightweight, bright and floral - what's not to love?



These particular photos were taken after a visit to a secondhand market. It was memorable because my mum perched herself up onto a ledge and promptly fell backwards, almost rolling through the bushes down the hill! I am totally hopeless in situations like these because I replay it over and over in my mind and laugh for hours!



Here's my secondhand/vintage treasure haul:


Leopard dress - $5 - made in the UK by 'Closet'. Vix, are you familiar with this brand?

Straw bag - $5. I have been looking for a straw bag with flowers for a while now.

Amber beaded bag -$15. A bit more than I'd usually want to spend but this bag is gorgeous, was new with tags and originally sold in Seed for $90!

Puerto Rico bag - $10. The seller is a lovely lady whose stall I often visit. She said she bought this bag in the Portobello Market in the UK. I'm not familiar with this market but she explained that it's pretty popular and was featured in the film Notting Hill. 

Original Elvis and Rolling Stones books from the 1980s - $5 each
Elton John and Johnny Cash LPs - $5 each
Pink vintage plate - $4


Sometimes you find nothing and sometimes you find everything at once. That's the way it goes! 

See you next Sunday. X



Comments

  1. That rose garden must have been a treat to visit, adding a little extra to your picnic on Australia Day. I love all kinds of flowers, including roses, but my favourites are probably Aquilegias. I love all kinds of wildflowers too, and find snowdrops and daffodils particularly charming. I'm loving your collection of Mexican dresses: how gorgeous is that purple one. But your poor Mum! I do remember her posting about this incidental day on Instagram :-) What great finds you did at the market, and you're so right: sometimes you come away empty handed, and at other times your finds are plentiful. I'm smitten with that straw bag and I do admire your taste in music! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real treat, Ann.
      I hadn't heard of Aquilegias before, but I've just googled them and they are so pretty.
      Soooo many market finds, I know. I can't wait to wear the straw bag. I'll have to wear it soon before winter arrives. X

      Delete
  2. I can almost smell those gorgeous roses from here!
    That looked like a wonderful day out and with the company of all those lovely ladies (including your fabulous mum) the perfect post to read today on International Women's Day.
    I think your dress is a brand stocked by Topshop, they retail at around £40 so a great find! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roses were so beautiful to smell and look at!
      It was a wonderful day, I love catching up with them all.
      Oooo a Topshop dress, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! X

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love roses, the smell is amazing! That looks like a wonderful time you all had! You look so fabulous in your Mexican dresses, Jess! I giggled at your Mum taking a tumble - I hope she only bruised her ego! - in her lovely velvet dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad the roses in the backyard are blossoming. I've been enjoying arranging them in vases all around the house.
      Oh that incident with my mum was hilarious. She had a good laugh too! X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds