Rooms for the Memory


I had planned on writing about my recent trip to the cinemas to watch Rocketman, but something much more exciting happened this morning.


On inxs_aus ' Instagram page, a fan posted a photo of their trip to the house where Australian cult classic Dogs in Space (1986) was filmed. As my mum and I went to a vintage market this morning, I told her about the house in nearby Richmond, and we spontaneously decided to go for a drive and take some photos in front of the house. 


Once we got there, I was so excited to walk down the tiny lane and see the house. If you've read my recent blog post about going to see the film Mystify: Michael Hutchence, you'll know how I'm a big INXS/ Michael Hutchence / Dogs in Space fan!  


It was easy to find the house because someone spray-painted the title of the film on the road in front of the house. I knocked on the door to ask if it was okay to take photos in front of the house and the young man was kind enough to say yes. I'm sure he's had many requests in the past.



Initially, my mum wasn't that enthusiastic about going, but when I told her the plot line of the story, she was eager to go. Just as The Breakfast Club is set entirely in a school, most of Dogs in Space was set in this double-storey terrace house. 


Source


Source

Richard Lowenstein produced and directed this film about a musician in a band and his partner along with many other social misfits who live in a chaotic Melbourne house in 1978.  I say 'chaotic' because there are always characters coming in and out of the house, the dialogue is fragmented and there are many sub plots going on at the same time. The characters reveal the dangers of living excessively and even though I've watched the film a few times, I'm always taken aback by a death that occurs at the end. The final scene never fails to captivate me as it is both entrancing and eerie as the character's soul departs into a luminous car.

My mama. Her pleated skirt and bag are vintage.


Outfit details:
Vintage coat (made in Italy), vintage bag and the best brown block-heeled boots ever - market finds.
Turtleneck and cord pants- bought retail, years ago.
Messy curls and pimples- perfectly suit the aesthetic of Dogs in Space (!!)


See you next week in a new blog post (about Rocketman)!
X



Comments

  1. Wow, how amazing to see the site of that movie's shoot! I haven't seen "Dogs in Space" (I've heard of it, though), but I bet that was exciting for you. Nice of the owner to let you take pics!

    I love your very groovy 70s outfit - that purse and coat are gorgeous! Your mum looks wonderful - such a lovely woman! Her clutch is stylin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so exciting and I'm so happy the owner let me take pictures! X

      Delete
  2. Ho exciting to visit one of my favourite film locations!
    I absolutely love your outfit, you look every inch the cool rock chick and your mum is smoking hot!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, you like the film too?! It was so exciting to see it in real life.
      Cool rock chick - Ooo thank you! My mum's fab too. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds