Hey, you with the sad face, come up to my place and live it up

On Saturday, one of my favourite Australian bands - the Sunnyboys - played a 'By The C' concert in a seaside town near Geelong. This is the 3rd time I've seen them live. The last time was about 2 years ago at Geelong too. 


My dad got me onto the Sunnnyboys, so we decided to go together. Then my mum wanted to go and convinced my sister to come along too, so it was a family affair!

We stopped off to take some snaps at the beach before going to the concert.

A bunch of other Australian bands (mostly from the 80s) played too...
Iluka
Do Re Me
Mental As Anything 
The Church 
and 
Icehouse.

Do you know any of these Aussie bands?


We arrived at about 2pm, it was an all day event. Just as we found a spot in the field to place our picnic blanket and fold up chairs, the rain descended! And then it was sunny, then it rained again. That's Melbourne weather for you - and it's Summer!


My dad and I got up to dance in the standing area when Mental As Anything played. I'm not very familiar with their music but I did like 'Live It Up', 'If you Leave Me, Can I Come Too?' (a funny one!) and a cover of Johnny Cash's 'Folsom Prison Blues'.


We got a standing position 3 rows from the front when the Sunnyboys were playing. It was a bit too close though. It was too loud (even for me!) and we couldn't hear Jeremy's vocals properly. A few songs in, the ever smiley and engaging Richard asked the crowd about the sound and the sound guys must've fixed it, although the bass was still a bit too loud.


Regardless, I had a fun time dancing away. If you've never heard of the Sunnyboys, I'd recommend listening to...


or



The Church played 'Unguarded Moment' - woohoo!


Ice house came on at about 8.45pm and it was getting dark. We danced to keep the cold at bay! It was fun hanging out beneath the stars and moon, having a good time.

If nothing else, I hope I've turned you on to some good Aussie tunes. They were even playing INXS and Jet between sets! 

Outfit details:
Sunnyboys tshirt- my dad and I bought ours 4 years ago at the first concert we went to of theirs.
Vintage velvet leopard cardigan - market find.
New Zealand made boots- market find.
Jeans and hat- retail.


See you in a new blog post next Monday. 
X





Comments

  1. How lovely that you all went to the gig! You're certainly dressed for the part.
    I know Icehouse and Mental as Anything. Live It Up was a massive hit here back in the day.
    Aussie bands I've seen (and loved) include Tame Impala, Empire of the Sun, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Wolfmother and Pendulum. The Avalanches are one of Jon's all-time favourite bands. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vix, you're back!
    I've never heard of the Avalanches before, I'll have to give them a listen one day. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Mental as Anything, Icehouse and the Church (I had their cassette tape with "Under the Milkyway")! I checked out all of these clips - they're awesome, thanks for the tip!

    I also know Nick Cave - we have a ton of his albums; plus Wolfmother. There's lots of great Aussie music out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had their cassette tapes? Awesome!
      I've only heard a bit of Nick Cave, I'll have to give him a proper listen some time. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand