Through the silk sheets of time

In my last blog post, I wrote about how much I loved watching Feud: Bette and Joan and it led me to watching Mildred Pierce (1945), starring Joan Crawford. I rarely watch movies from as far back as the 1940s (although I love old films!) but I was pleasantly surprised. I quite enjoyed it and it was a good introduction to classic noir films.


Source


Mildred Pierce is a crime-drama film that opens with Mildred's second husband being shot. After the police interrogate some people, Mildred reveals her troubled past to the officer through flashbacks.


Source

Being a fan of vintage fashion, I was naturally keen to check out the outfits. They were very sophisticated and some were quite glamorous. I especially appreciated the brooches, which I rarely wear, but this film has certainly made me eager to start wearing some.


Source


After watching Mildred Pierce, I wanted to watch another 1940s film, so a few days later, I watched The Cover Girl (1944) starring Rita Hayworth. It's such a sweet film, with numerous singing and dancing sequences. Rita Hayworth was absolutely gorgeous and a talented dancer. I loved the outfits too.


Source

Source - I adore the sleeves on this wedding dress!

Source

Eve Arden stole the show with her gorgeous outfits. I love how she wore multiple brooches and the resin buttons on the below suit are fab. Hearing her voice made me immediately recognise that she played Principal McGee in Grease (1978).


Source

Source

Source 

I'd first heard of Rita Hayworth when she was mentioned in the L.A Frock Stars, which is a T.V show about a vintage store. In it, they visited Joseff of Hollywood, a store that made costume jewellery and many were used in classic films from the 1930s and 1940s.


Source

Source


I'd love to purchase some Joseff jewellery one day. I had a bit of a look on eBay and found these pieces, but they're a bit expensive for me!


$377.90!
$2689.40
$242.64


With vintage jewellery on my mind, I've been looking out for some when I visit markets or op-shops. Two Sundays ago, I found these two secondhand modern (but vintage looking) pieces, both bought for a total of $6!





I immediately wore them on a day out to the city. I'd love to learn more about how to identify vintage jewellery. I wonder if the clasps or materials give clues about whether a piece is vintage or not. 
Any advice?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand

I go leaps and bounds