We're all going on a summer holiday

 Just like our last Eden holiday suddenly ended with bush-fires and us scurrying to make our way home, this year's holiday ended much the same with us having to leave quickly due to the border closing.

It started out all lovely though. After Christmas, mum woke my family and I at 4am to make the 6-8 hour drive to New South Wales. I had packed earlier in the week so I put my bags in the car, got dressed and brushed my hair and teeth and then off we went at 5.20am.

 

I slept on and off for most the the drive there, eating two McDonald's hashbrowns for breakfast and sharing a souvlaki with my sister for lunch when we stopped in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

For hours and hours, we saw trees that were burnt from last year's terrifying bush fires. They were very skinny and black with bits of leaves growing on the sides of them, not the top. It looked like we were driving in some sort of Dr. Seuss-ville. There must have been MILLIONS of trees like that. It served as a reminder that despite hardships, life goes on.


When we arrived at Eden, Mum and I did a little food shop at the supermarket and then set up the cabin. We chatted to our neighbours then sat with our cups of  tea by the beach and the day was soon done.


WEARING:

 A cotton pink maxi dress - Hand-me-down from mum. I also wore it on holiday here in 2019. It's perfect for hot days.

Sunglasses- A few dollars at an op-shop.

Butterfly pendant- Secondhand market. I am absolutely obsessed with butterfly pendants/brooches at the moment and have been wearing this pendant with everything.

 

The next morning, mum and I went for a walk up and down the beach. It was quite hot, even at 8.30am. My family spent some time swimming and I sat on the sand under a palm tree taking photos of them and reading. I was half way though re-reading 'Elvis and The Memphis Mafia' - an excellent Elvis book by his friends and cousin.


 

My family joined me sitting by the rocks and we chatted, people watched, drank tea and ate some panettone that had lots of orange bits. It's an Italian tradition to eat this sweet bread around Christmas time and it was so flavorsome, probably the best we've tasted (and from ALDI- who would have thought)! I didn't put on sunscreen as I thought I'd be okay sitting in the shade, but I didn't count on windburn which would come back to bite me.


For lunch we ate spaghetti with cherry tomato sauce and prawns. It was so delicious that we decided we wanted to eat this often throughout our holiday. In the afternoon, we walked around the Eden shops but most had closed probably due to the crushing combination of bush-fires and the COVID-19 crisis this year.

I had an nap in the afternoon- bliss! We ate at a Chinese restaurant at a golf course for dinner. It was mostly empty so it was very easy to social distance. We watched Australian classic 'Red Dog' back at the cabin and then I read before going to bed.

All in all, an ideal, relaxing day on holiday.  I'll share more holiday tales in my next post. See you next week. X

 

Title: Summer Holiday.

(The perfect song to sing on the drive to a holiday).


Comments

  1. What a lovely looking day Jess, thank you for sharing. I can feel the sunshine radiating out on this cold UK day and what a delicious sounding lunch. Your dress is so pretty and floaty, perfect beach wear. Interesting to hear how the tree foliage is growing back following last year’s awful bush fire devastation. I wonder how the poor wildlife is doing and whether people that lost their homes have returned to those areas? I look forward to your next post. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new tree growth was fascinating, Lulu. I imagine the animal population is still very low as millions were killed in the fires. From the news, people whose homes burnt down have moved away. Thanks for visiting my blog, Lulu. X

      Delete
  2. What a lovely day! You can't beat time spent on a gloriously sunny beach and you were certainly dressed for it. I remember watching Red Dog on the plane years ago! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix.
      Haha, I didn't know Red Dog had made it out of Aus. That's good to hear. X

      Delete
  3. What a blissful start to your holidays! Sun, beach, a gorgeous dress, lovely food, a good read and - above all - family time! What a pity it had to be cut short again. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your holidays, Jess xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sun, beach, dresses and lovely food = perfection. Thanks Ann. X

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful trip, Jess! I have not been anywhere farther than a 45 minute drive since last January. The food sounds so yummy! Yowtch, sorry to hear the wind burned you! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shiela. It was lovely. We went to a "green zone" which was allowed at the time. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand