It took me years to write, will you take a look?

Have you ever read The Catcher in the Rye? It's one hell of a book. 

I discovered it when I was doing a writing course, before I became a teacher. I was the youngest uni student in the class and felt a bit inadequate as I hadn't read many of the great classics that my teacher spoke about with tremendous revere. So what I did was, I'd note the books she mentioned  and then I got around to reading some of them. On that list was The Catcher in the Rye and now it's easily one of my favourite books.

I pulled out my old J.D Salinger related books after reading Catcher. As one of the most infamous writers of the 20th century, he has often been portrayed as a reclusive, bizarre person. In these two books, his daughter and ex-girlfriend mostly paint him in a negative light which is always disappointing for a reader. Although, I think you have to be a bit unorthodox to write a book like this.

Certainly you have to be a bit mad to understand let alone enjoy this book. If you're too 'normal', you might think the plot or digressions are a bit all over the place but if you've gone through any sort of madness, you'll probably empathise with Holden's frustrations. The first time I read the book, I completely missed the references to Holden's nervous breakdown and instead found the book awfully funny. Which is a bit of a worry, actually. After rereading this book many times, I still laugh out loud at the oddball phrases.

The thing is, I feel inspired to write whenever I finish reading Catcher. I've started writing a fiction text a few times in the past and now I'm eager to start one again and actually finish it. I've since forgotten my writing teacher's name but I remember her words. She said that it's really important for writers to have a goal and the goal she set for us was to write one page each day. Sounds simple enough, but actually doing it can be a challenge. She also advised us to consider ourselves to be writers even if we didn't have a published text. The act of writing and being passionate about it means you are a writer. I already consider myself a blog writer as I'm fulfilling  my little writing dream through this blog. But now that I'm also writing a fiction text, I'm starting to consider myself as a fiction writer too.

 

Lastly, my wise fiction teacher encouraged us to use our 'good' notebooks for our daily writing. Rather than saving pretty or fancy notebooks for 'one day' or 'something special,' she advised that we would treasure the act of writing even more if we used our special notebooks.

So I've done just that. I'm using my gorgeous blue notebook. I've always written diaries and the pink sparkly one and striped one are my latest. I've been writing a page or more most days and even though I have only written 48 pages so far, I hope to stick it out. In the past, work and other things have gotten in the way. Starting is the hardest part, I think, but then it's hard to stop because you never want to forget certain phrases or ideas.

For now, I just want to write a book, even if it's just for myself. I want to see if I can do it. It's going to be a long process - typing and editing it- but I hope to see it through.

Anyway, these outfit photos were in that file I told you about last week. The file of photos I took last year and forgot to share. I quite like this outfit. The monochromatic navy outfit looks nice with my autumnal coloured snakeskin boots and scarf. The only thing is, I have to really hold my stomach in when wearing these overalls. They are not so flattering around the stomach.


Outfit details:

Denim overalls ($10), Snakeskin boots (probably $5 or $10), Vintage scarf ($3), Vintage bag ($5): All secondhand market finds.

Earrings: Sportsgirl sale, probably a few dollars.


I hope you enjoyed reading about my little writing dream. I think it's important to pursue these 'little' dreams of ours, even in times of a pandemic. What are you looking forward to doing / pursuing at the moment?

X

 

Title: Paperback Writer by The Beatles. 


Comments

  1. I remember loving The Catcher In the Rye as a thirteen year-old and really feeling like I could identify with Holden.
    That's wonderful that you're writing a novel, what a shame you can't recall your teacher's name as, when it's published, you'll need to include her in your dedications!
    Love your notebooks and the dungarees look good on you but having to breathe in doesn't sound ideal! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix!
      I wish I could remember her name because I know she's published a book and I'd like to read it. X

      Delete
  2. Hello Jess, I am ashamed to say I haven’t read The Catcher in the Rye, but it certainly sounds like I should (These days all I can muster is Harry Potter, via request, or anything by the wonderful Michael Morpurgo for the kids’ bedtime, before zonking out for the evening). I love that the book inspires you to write and that you are doing so regularly in your best notepads. May the creative writing juices flow and be merry! Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lulu. Fingers crossed I keep at it.

      If you ever come across Catcher and need a break between reading your Harry Potter books, I'd definitely recommend it. X

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love The Catcher in the Rye, and incidentally, this book and a handful of others are my inspiration to write. Not a novel, exactly, more like poetic ramblings, some of which end up in my blog, and a kind of memoir I've been writing on and off for many years. Have you read Salinger's other works? I've read Joyce Maynard's At Home in the World, but not his daughter's. And have you read Johanna Rakoff's My Salinger Year? A fascinating read!
    I'm loving your outfit, by the way, what a shame you have to hold your stomach when wearing it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't know that Ann. Salinger has probably inspired millions to write in various forms, which is fantastic. And I love reading your poetic words on your blog.

      I haven't read any of Salinger's other books but I finally ordered some online a few weeks ago. I haven't read My Salinger Year but I've heard about it. Hopefully I come across it at an opshop one day. X

      Delete
  4. I read "Catcher" when I was a teen, and again when I was in my 30s, and it was a very different experience each time. I like your writing teacher's advice, Jess. and will add, "Writers write" - if you write, you are a writer. A very good book on the craft of writing is Stephen King's "On Writing" - I've given out many copies of it over the years, and it's full of inspiration and nuts and bolts of how to actually get writing, as well as how to edit yourself.

    I am also a long-time diarist, although my blog performs most of that function now. I recently found my high school grade 12 Creative Writing journal (we had to write 2 pages longhand every day for the entire school year, not read by the teacher, but verified). I've been transcribing it to digital, just typing it out - since I wrote it in 1984/1985 (!!), it's a real time capsule. I'm thinking it might be an awesome book, if I go through and add copious footnotes/pictures. I'll also have to address my "very 80s" viewpoints, casual sexism and racism (!!!), lol. But it's fun doing it - it's all coming back to me.

    Love this overall outfit, and those awesome boots. Your stomach looks fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen King's writing book sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a read one day.

      That's so cool that you found your Creative Writing notebook from the 80s!!! X

      Delete
  5. I think you look beautiful in your overalls, and I hope you are comfortable wearing it! I loved Catcher when I read it many years ago. It's so wonderful to have a dream and actively pursue it. I know exactly how it feels, to call yourself a writer at first, when you haven't published anything yet. I think it's exactly what they mean when they say "Fake it till you make it"... At first, you feel like you're faking it, but it's only our self-consciousness at play. The more you write, the more you start feeling as a writer. And yes, if you love the process of writing, then you are a writer, no matter what you write and whether or not you're published. It's wonderful to have a passion. Good luck with your creative life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Natalia. X

      Delete
  6. I love Catcher in the Rye too but it's been ages since I've read it. At the time, I was in a big transition period and maybe felt a little bit of the "madness" so it really stuck with me. You've inspired me to put it on my "to read" list now though, I'm interested to see how it impacts me now, years later.

    Best of luck with your writing! For me, follow-through is the hardest part (I get distracted by new projects and things so easily!) so I admire someone who can stick to a goal like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley, I'm glad I've inspired you to read Catcher again. It's an oldie but a goodie. Every time I revisit it, I'm reminded of why it's one of my favourite books.

      Sticking to this writing goal is very hard for me. I too get distracted by other projects. I'm trying to not be so hard on myself. If I don't get to write a page one day, I'll try to write 2+ the next day. I'm trying to be flexible so I don't 'give up on it' like I have in the past. X

      Delete
  7. I am featured in The Catcher in the Rye or rather my namesake, Jane Gallagher. It makes it interesting when I google myself.
    I am a writer too and totally agree that you should use your best notebooks for every day. Your teacher sounds inspiring. Although I have never met them I view Natalie Goldberg and Julia Cameron as my greatest teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool, Jane.

      Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to look up Natalie and Julia. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand