A Day in The (Lockdown) Life

Hello! We're still in lock-down here in Melbourne and I have well and truly settled into a familiar routine. From Monday to Friday, I work from 7.30am to about 5pm, with quick breaks for breakfast and lunch. I have about 5 video meetings with my students as a whole class and in small groups. They're so eager to go back to school and often tell me that they miss their school friends and I. Then I plan lessons for a couple of hours and finally do the mammoth task of checking every child's work which takes me 1.5-2 hours at the end of each day. After I've conquered that, I'm keen to get out and go for a walk. Having to wear a face covering while out of your home is not so bad as it keeps your face warm when it's cold. Yesterday, mum and I got caught in the rain, which nowadays is a bit of an adventure in itself. I  was also happy about these wild flowers that I picked from the top of a hill.



Before each weekday ends, I try to squeeze in some crocheting while I watch T.V.


And look what I've made..... My very own crochet jumper!


 Lucy (@thechaindesigns on Instagram) inspired me to start crocheting jumpers and vests and I'm really enjoying it. I love the feeling of being creative and making something myself. I slowly worked on this jumper over 4 weeks and I was so thrilled when I finally finished it last weekend.


The sleeves are massive - I love them!


Outfit details:
Boots: Turkish store in Stratford, New South Wales.
Vintage snakeskin belt and sunglasses: Secondhand market finds.
Turtleneck and denim culottes (borrowed from mum): Retail.


One of the things I enjoyed watching whilst crocheting was Liam Gallagher's 2019 'As It Was' documentary. He's a lovable character.


Also, mum and I have taken to watching old Sonny and Cher YouTube Videos from the 70s. Gosh, they're funny. And weren't Cher's outfits just divine!


I also finished reading 2 books. I borrowed Danny Goldberg's book from the library and it proved to be a respectful and empathetic biography that steered clear of mythologizing Kurt Cobain's life and death, instead focusing on Kurt's human side and his near-constant creativity. This prompted me to pull out my copy of Montage of Heck. Both are interesting reads if you're fans of Kurt Cobain or Nirvana.

My sister and I have also been creating dance routines! Yes, you read that right - we haven't done this since we were children, but my sister was eager to do so and we've surprisingly had a ton of fun! Plus it's good exercise. Hopefully I'll be able to convince her to let me film and share it on Instagram, which will be no easy feat as she's very private. But it's all a bit of fun, so perhaps she won't mind.


I hope your days have been busy and you've been squeezing in some fun.
X



Comments

  1. I'm glad you settled into a familiar routine and are making the best of the situation, but I'm sure it cannot be easy still being in lockdown. I do understand your students miss their school routine, which I think is just as important as the lessons themselves. I'm pleased you are able to relax by going for a walk at the end of a busy day. Face masks aren't much of a joy to wear when it's warm though. After having to wear them all the time when we were out for a couple of weeks, this has now been relaxed to only having to wear them in busy places. It doesn't really make sense wearing a face mask where it's quiet. Your crochet jumper is gorgeous - lovely colours too! As for your boots: I am in love! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully our restrictions ease too, Ann. It was a bit warmer on our walk the other day and I found it much harder to breathe.

      Looking forward to reading your blog posts soon. X

      Delete
  2. I love your crochet jumper, the style and the colours are fabulous and perfect with those Suzani boots! Your Mum's jeans are really cool!
    I'm glad that lockdown isn't proving too taxing. It really does help when you get into a routine, doesn't it?
    Liam Gallagher "loveable"? Ever seen this clip of when Michael Hutchence gave Oasis a Brit Award in 1996? https://youtu.be/wp-yXK_EA70

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix,
      Yes, a routine does wonders!

      I mean 'lovable' in a cheeky way. - haha! Yes, I know of that clip. I'm a big INXS fan and actually refused to listen to Oasis for years because I thought they were so rude to Michael. Turns out Oasis had a huge ego around everyone and often knocked other bands -silly boys. Although it was Noel who said Michael was a 'hasbeen' (which was cut out of the end of that clip) which I've read was very hurtful to Michael. Which probably explains why I'm more of a fan of Liam's than Noel's. X

      Delete
  3. Ooh, your crocheted jumper is amazing! I love the colours, and the bigass sleeves are so fun! I'm actually looking forward to cold weather + face masks as my teeth hurt in the cold. Your boots are amazing - I want them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shiela. I love the bright colours and huge sleeves of this jumper too.

      I can share these boots, y'know. Just come on down to Australia one day. X

      Delete
  4. Hello from a very stormy Cornwall, UK. I've been enjoying read your blog! Sounds like you're doing a sterling job on the lock down teaching. You're not at Erinsborough High are you? (Sorry, couldn't resist it ;)... Lifelong Neighbours fan!) Seriously though, my eldest kid's school didn't do any online teaching and we had to do the marking :0 I'll be sure to check out the Kurt Cobain books at some point. I grew up in Manchester and my older brother went to school with the Gallaghers. He says Noel was 'top' but Liam was a right ****(expletive) because he'd always steal the football when they were trying to play! The brothers always make me laugh when I see them being interviewed on TV :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulu, thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting on this blog post!

      No, I don't teach at Erinsborough High - haha! Wow, no online teaching at your eldest child's school - that's unusual.

      Your brother went to school with Liam and Noel?! He must have some stories to tell! Yeah, Liam's a bit (a lot) cheeky, isn't he?



      Delete
  5. Ahh love the sweater!! I can do basic crochet stitches and make a mean scarf but I find trying to follow a pattern and branch out from that really intimidating. You did a great job, I may have to give it a go!
    It sounds like you have a solid routine going, good for you! That does wonders for staying sane in these crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we always get told as teachers that children thrive on routines, but I reckon it's true for adults too.

      I'm a bit like that, I know a few crochet stitches and I stick to them. I know the basic stitch, like you, and this granny stitch that I used for this jumper. I just repeated the granny stitch for 2 large rectangles (the front and back) as well as 4 long rectangles (for the arms).

      Looking forward to visiting your blog soon, Ashley. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand