Wearing out things that nobody wears

Hello! How have you been? 

We are 17 days into our 2nd lock-down in Melbourne. I'm back to teaching my students from home and I'm impressed with how well they're adapting to learning from home. The number of COVID-19 cases seem to be rising and face masks are now a requirement when leaving home. While I try to look on the bright side most of the time, I just wish it was all over. Combined with my overwhelming workload, it's proving to be quite draining.


I'm glad to squeeze in a walk each day, some reading and TV watching. Mental health and having time to relax is important, but I'm sure you know that already.


I also like having a creative project on the go. Here is my granny square vest that I promised to show you. I made it myself! 


Whilst I've known how to crotchet for years, the granny square has always intimidated me. I remember seeing my friend Renee making granny squares ages ago and thinking, That looks so hard! But after being inspired by some crocheted vests on Instagram, I decided to make my own! I watched THIS Youtube video to learn how to make granny squares. And of course I shared my vest with my friend in our last video call and we gushed about it! She is so clever and was giving me some tips on how to tie in the loose ends.



I used wool that I had laying around the house, hence the melting pot of these unusual colours! With so many colours in this vest, I decided to keep my outfit simple: navy turtleneck and cord miniskirt, with the snake print boots matching the outline of the vest. I suspect that a technicolour vest like this might be a bit garish for some (hence the lyric title), but I quite like this 'granny chic' look.


I had to accessories my rings to my outfit, doesn't everyone?


On the last day before our second lock-down, I visited Spotlight to buy some wool. Fueled by creative excitement and wanting to see the finished product, this vest only took me three days to complete but I am going to take it slow with the next two vests I make.No doubt they'll be on the blog soon!


What have you been up to? How is life where you live?
X


Comments

  1. Granny squares are addictive, aren't they? I love your little waistcoat, it looks great! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are, Vix!
      I'm already in the process of making a jumper. X

      Delete
  2. Love your waistcoat, and it's not too colourful for me at all. I'd wear it in a heartbeat. I love how those fabulous snakeskin boots match the waistcoat's outline, too. I do hope that your lockdown will end soon. How I'd love to have everything go back to normal. We too have to wear masks, primarily on public transport and in shops, but as cases are rising here, there are some town which require you to wear them, either on busy shopping streets or the minute you leave your house. I do hope the latter won't become a general thing, as I'll probably not leave the house much in that case. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd agree with me, Ann - colour all the way!

      We have to wear masks now when leaving our home and surprisingly it's become the new norm. I've even gotten used to wearing a face covering when I go for walks. It's not so bad, you'll be able to cope with it.

      Delete
  3. Jess, this is a fantastically chic mod look! I wore stuff like this back in the 70s - I had a dark red crocheted vest with a tasseled tie front that my mom made. I love the colours, and how awesome are those boots with the whole look! I always match my rings to my outfits, doesn't everyone??

    I want there to be more mask wearing in my city - I'm really working on getting everyone in my office on board as they come back to work next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shiela! Your dark red crocheted vest from the 70s sounds fab!

      I knew I wasn't the only one to match rings to my outfits - ha!

      That's a good idea about the masks, Shiela. They are the new norm here and everyone wears them when exercising or grocery shopping. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand