We like dancing and we look divine

As promised, in this blog post I will be sharing my embroidery creations. During our first stint of lock-down, my sister and I participated in online embroidery classes once a week. We learnt how to embroider flowers and since then, I've been obsessed. Each piece took hours to create and I treasure every one of them.


First I made this t-shirt. I'm not really a fan of plain, solid t-shirts and this one has been sitting around in my drawers for years so I thought I'd jazz it up! 


That's much better - now I'll actually wear it in the summertime.


Worn with some jeans, it gives off a 1970s casual look.


And a little jewellery never hurt anyone. These pieces are all second hand and whilst the rings are modern, both bangles are vintage. My love of coral, turquoise and snake jewellery will never die!


After completing the t-shirt, I moved straight onto embroidering this plum cardigan.



Inspiration struck after I saw a similar one on 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. I took a quick photo on my phone and decided to make my own. Since then I've watched more episodes of the show and occasionally spot some of the female characters wearing embroidered cardigans. It must have been a popular late 1990s fashion.



To tell you the truth, I've always hated the look of cardigans. They've always given me a 'plain, boring' teacher vibe. And being a teacher myself, I want to be an approachable, empathetic, knowledgeable AND fabulous teacher. 





Embroidering onto a cardigan has completely thrown my preconceived ideas out of the window, and I absolutely love these cardigans now!



And whilst I never wear mini skirts or low cut blouses at work, I save them for weekends/holidays. I still wear my vintage outfits to work which amuses some of my students.


As soon as I finished the plum cardigan, I began this blue one! I was trying to figure out a way to use my blue embroidery thread and came up with this floral design.


Plus the blue flowers perfectly compliment my turquoise tights that I was worried wouldn't go with anything in my wardrobe. And I love my snake print boots with this look.


I painted my nails red after being inspired by Jasmine Chiswell's wonderful tribute to Marilyn Monroe. She dresses up in Marilyn's iconic style and lives in one of her homes! I'm enjoying her YouTube videos at the moment. Anyway, I rarely paint my finger nails, not because I don't like the look (I do!) but because as soon as there's a little chip, it bothers me and I want to take it all off. Also, I've never been keen on fake nails. I don't like how they look so thick, and they get in the way of my occasional guitar playing! So while the nail polish is on and looking good, I have taken lots of ring photos.



Lastly, I embroidered my bed sheet and a pillow case. They are a joy to look at each morning.

 

After that, I gave embroidering a break and moved onto another creative endeavour.... crocheting! I made a piece of clothing all by myself which I'm thrilled about. 
I'll share it with you in next week's blog post. X



Comments

  1. I love how you jazzed up that red t-shirt with the flower embroidery. It looks very 70s worn with those jeans. I could have sworn I had a very similar (though obviously not hand embroidered) t-shirt back in the day. Love your snake bracelet too! I am very much a cardigan girl myself, and think they are only boring if you wear them in a boring way. Of course, your gorgeous embroidery does the trick here. I especially love the plum coloured one. Can't wait to see the garment you crocheted! You really are a girl of many talents xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds about right, Ann- cardigans being boring if worn in a boring way.

      Thanks for the compliments on the red tshirt.

      I can't wait to share the crocheted piece next week! X

      Delete
  2. I'm in awe of your embroidery talents, you've done an amazing job with the cardis, bed linen and tee shirt!
    Try wiping your nails with nail varnish remover just before you paint them, it removes any excess oils and can form a bond to the nail varnish, making it last longer! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I didn't know that about nail polish remover. I'll have to try that next time! X

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this is so inspiring, Jess! I also crochet, and I did learn to needlepoint when I was a kid (Brownies and Girl Guides!). Crafting is so fun. I love how you jazzed up your cardis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shiela!
      What's needlepoint? Is it similar to embroidery? X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand