Stuck inside these four walls, sent inside forever

As of Thursday, Metropolitan Melbourne has been in lockdown again as the number of coronavirus cases has drastically increased. At this point, I'm feeling okay about it. I've adjusted to isolation and keeping myself amused. In the place of face-to-face catch ups with friends, video calls are my new normal. Plus, there's always the fun of taking outfit photos in the garden!



 These photos were taken before lockdown when I wanted to capture the gorgeous orange tree before we eat/drink all the oranges. I love this blue velvet skirt. It suits my snake print boots and new-to-me belt. Although this skirt is cheeky and likes to play games with me! Sometimes it's static-y and when I recently wore it to work with a slip underneath, it seemed to create more static. My students' parents must have thought I was flashing them at home time when my skirt kept riding up with every step I took! Embarrassing!


Outfit details:
Beret: I made it myself!
Velvet skirt: Secondhand market.
Retro belt: @_sunflowervintage instagram giveaway.
Turtleneck and snake print boots: Retail.

 Thank goodness my dedo's (grandad's) birthday was last week before the restrictions began. He turned 91! We are so blessed to have him in our lives. The day before his birthday, I went to the shops to buy him a whole bunch of goodies to make into a food hamper including olives, marinated capsicums, pasta, sauerkraut and lots of other food.


I made him an apple cake, which he likes because it's not too sweet. I also made maznik! It's a Macedonian cheese pastry that is very special to my family. My baba (grandma) used to make it all the time! I miss her so much and think about her often and of course miss her food too. I remember watching her make maznik when I was younger. She'd make it in her shed kitchen on a big round table. She'd roll the dough out until it was very large and thin. Then she'd sprinkle in some fetta, roll up the dough into a long snake shape and then twirl it around in a circular dish.


Here's my first attempt at ever making it myself:


Although it was a good first attempt, the pastry came out a bit too thick and hard - baba made it best! I will try this recipe again and get better at rolling out the dough into much thinner layers - practise makes perfect! We took the food over to my dedo's house. We sat around eating cake and maznik, chatting and watching TV. It was lovely.

While I cooked, I watched Marilyn Monroe's 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'.


I love this purple look. I've got a similar pair of earrings and would love to recreate this look one day!


 I love cooking whilst watching TV. I'm not one to sit still watching TV for any length of time. I prefer doing something at the same time, such as crocheting, embroidering or cooking! I think it's multitasking at its finest!


As the rainy weather was ruining my plans for a picnic, I decided to have a pink themed indoor picnic. I assembled lots of food on pale pink plates, including:
 Brie cheese
 Bocconcini
Garden grown fennel and orange salad, 
Homemade pâté (which I forgot to include in the photo)
 Pickles
Homemade chilli and apple chutney
Crackers and some freshly squeezed orange juice. 
I should have great arms after all the orange juicing! 

My sister, mum and I so enjoyed our little picnic feast. Never let a rainy day get in the way of your fun, I say!



I have more to post about but that'll have to wait til next week. I'll finally share all of my embroidery creations. See you then. X


Title: Band on the Run by Paul McCartney.
(Was Paul singing about lockdown in 1973 when he sang: 'Stuck inside these four walls, sent inside forever, never seeing no one nice again...'? I jest! It's not that bad, I'm remaining positive!).


Comments

  1. It was on the news here that Melbourne was in lockdown again, and instantly had to think of you and your Mum. Oh dear. I'm glad to hear you're feeling okay about it. Not sure how I would feel. I find it quite scary that recent history is already repeating itself. I'm loving your outfit but I'm hearing you on the velvet skirt and it being static-y at times. How fortunate that you were able to celebrate your dedo's birthday before going into lockdown. You are indeed very fortunate to have him in your lives. An indoor picnic is a perfect alternative if the weather isn't playing nice! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thinking of us, Ann. Yes we are very fortunate to have him, I agree.
      Looking forward to catching up on your blog soon. X

      Delete
  2. I saw that on the news you were back in lockdown - that really sucks, Jess! I can't imagine how that would feel, especially since we are very much "open" here right now.

    I love your skirt - but gah! velvets drive me nuts because of that!

    Your cooking and baking is amazing! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm trying to not complain too much.
      Ahh velvet, it likes to play tricks on me. X

      Delete
  3. I saw that you were back in lockdown, I suppose it's the new normal we're going to have to deal with until a vaccine comes along. In the UK Leicester is also under lockdown (its 50 miles up the road from us so not that far).
    Isn't it good to have plenty of interests to help pass the time? I know so mnay women who cite shopping as their hobby and were at their wits end over the last few months.
    Love your outfit, the colour is fab on you but boo to the wayward skirt!
    Happy Birthday to your Granddad! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I love secondhand shopping, as I know you do too. Although I have many other interests too. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand