I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used

Thank God for nature! In times of isolation, nature has been one of our few freedoms. In Australia, we are allowed to leave the house if we are an essential worker, if we are food shopping or exercising, all whilst social distancing. 

The valley has always been a place of tranquility for me. 







With the double denim and band tshirt (Sunnyboys of course), I was going for a George Harrison//Elvis/ Bob Dylan look.


Source 1 & 2

My mum and I went to Yarra Glen (wine country) to stroll around and get some sunshine. These photos were taken before the exercise rule came about, so we actually had packed some food and ate on a park bench.










But no more picnics for us! Now we've got to think more creatively! 

My sister is very creative, actually. She had some clothes dye, so we spent some time in the garden tie dying socks. She also organised for us to take part in online embroidery classes where we have learnt how to embroider flowers. We've been using WhatsApp to video-call my nonna and show her all the things we've been doing. Any excuse to call and I love talking to her. She suggested that I could embroider pillow cases, which is something I'd definitely like to try.

For breakfast, I haven't been having my usual boiled egg which is quick to eat in the morning on work days. Now that I can take my time, I've gotten into the routine of making a nice, hearty breakfast. Sweet potatoes, eggs with lots of pepper, avocado and homemade croutons - yes please!


My mum and I have dressed up as Rod Stewart and made a silly video where we danced and sang along to Maggie May (watch here and here




And I was kicking myself that I didn't buy any hot cross buns before the corona virus became a pandemic so I was very pleased when my sister bought some from the shops. 


We've been limiting our grocery shopping to once a week or every two weeks. I made the mistake of going to the supermarket at the beginning of this pandemic when there were mad crowds stockpiling groceries and it gave me flashbacks to the horror of the bush fires in New South Wales at the beginning of this year, when the trucks couldn't deliver supplies to supermarkets due to the smoke and fire. So as long as my mum and sister are willing to go, I'm happy to stay away for now.


My dear friend Deana was supposed to be getting married around this time, but that has been postponed, of course. Here we are at her kitchen tea earlier in the year. I feel sorry for her as she's super organised, and the time, effort and money she has put into planning everything has been tossed aside. 

And of course people are sick and dying which is very scary. So when I get frustrated that my work holidays have been completely ruined, I try to put everything into perspective and be grateful for the little (big) things : nature, friends, family, music, cooking, getting creative and hot cross buns of course!

How have you been holding up? 



Comments

  1. Loving the double denim and leopard print outfits, Jess. Proper rock and roll!
    What a gorgeous walk you were able to go on pre-lockdown and stopping for a picnic, too - driving to places and eating out seem like a dim and distant memory in these strange times now!
    Your breakfast looks delicious as does the hot cross bin, I haven't eaten one in years.
    I'm sorry Deanna's wedding had to be postponed, it's horribly sad after all the planning she must have put into it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leopard outfit is proper rock and roll, indeed! I love it!

      We can only have picnics in our backyard now, which can still be fun.

      I know, my poor friend. She's booked her wedding in for next year, and I'm sure it will be fun. X

      Delete
  2. I miss going for walks and taking a picnic. Now we can't even sit on a bench without getting a fine!
    I'm loving your double denim outfit, but that leopard print maxi worn with that magnificent fringed vest is my favourite. I'm still smiling when I'm thinking of you and your Mum's Rod Stewart post. That definitely brightened my day. No Hot Cross buns for me this year, they are hard to get at the best of times. I'm simply salivating at the thought of eating one now. And oh, how disappointed your friend must be that her wedding had to be postponed. That's so sad! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I miss picnics too.

      Oh the leopard outfit is crazy, isn't it? I love it! Mum and I had so much fun with that video.

      I think I have one more hot cross bun in the freezer. I'm the only one in the house that eats them!

      Yeah, her wedding has been postponed to next year but she's staying positive about everything which is good. X

      Delete
  3. I love your wonderful leopard outfit, Jess, and what a hoot, you and your Mum singing (such a great song!). Sorry to hear about your friend's wedding - so many things are cancelled. I'm already considering 2021 the "do-over" year, and L and I are planning his 50th birthday celebration on his 51st.

    I'm doing fine, humming along, but it's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster with our friend being very sick with cancer. It kind of puts the other things in perspective...

    Great to see you and glad to see you practicing self-care (dressing up, cooking that delish breakfast). Hugs to you, and hello to your Mum! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Sheila. Many people must be considering 2021 as a "do-over" year. I'm sure L's 50th will be so fun!

      Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope they recover very soon. Cancer is such a horrible thing, not only does it affect those who have it but it really worries their loved ones as well. X

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recommended at the price, insatiable an appetite, wanna try?

She's the lady who wears those flashing eyes

Beach baby, beach baby, give me your hand